Praline Applesauce Cake
|Cake flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (soft)|
|Applesauce||1 Pound (1 can or jar, 1 2/4 cups)|
|Seedless raisins||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Praline||3 (as required)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease and dust 1 8X1 1/2-inch baking pans and dust with flour.
3) In a bowl, sift together cake flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
4) Mix in shortening and applesauce and beat with an electric beater, scraping down side of bowl frequently for 2 minutes at medium speed.
5) Put the eggs in and beat for 2 minutes more, or until blended
6) Stir the raisins in the flour mixture.
7) Transfer the flour mixture into pan.
8) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cakes comes out clean.
9) Place the pan over a wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 15 minutes.
10) Raise the temperature of oven to broil.
11) Smear the praline topping over the warm cake.
12) Broil 6 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until turns golden.
13) Allow to cool on a wire rack.
14) Cut into squares and serve.