Black Walnut Cake
|Cake flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||5 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Black walnuts||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), chopped|
|Chocolate pudding mix||3 1⁄2 Ounce (1 package)|
|Light brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 350°F, 180°c, gas mark 4.
2. Grease two 9 inches shallow cake tins.
3. For the sea foam frosting, mix all the ingredients except vanilla in a mixing bowl and cook it on a double boiler (a pot with simmering water which touches the base of the bowl) and mix thoroughly for about 7 minutes or until it starts holding up in peaks.
4. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and beat until cool and thick enough to spread, keep it refrigerated for later use.
5. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt and pass through a fine sieve.
6. In a bowl, cream the shortening and add vanilla and almond extract.
7. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups sugar and cream the mixture until light and fluffy.
8. Now add the egg yolks and beat until mixed properly.
9. Start adding the flour mixture and milk alternately, beating until smooth after each addition, add flour in the end.
10. Beat the egg whites until frothy; add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until it is glossy, but not dry.
11. Fold the meringue and walnuts gently into this batter.
12. Pour equal halves in both the greased cake tins.
13. Bake in preheated for 45 minutes.
14. Remove, turn onto cooling racks and let it cool down for 15 minutes.
15. Make the filling with chocolate pudding mix as per the directions on the box.
16. Spread the filling on top of one layer and put the other layer on top sandwiching the filling in between.
17. Use the sea foam frosting to cover the top and sides.
18. An excellent gourmet dessert which can be served on any special occasion or even for a Sunday cook out.
Calories 653 Calories from Fat 269
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.2%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g33.8%
Trans Fat 2.8 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg21.5%
Sodium 479.3 mg20%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g29.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.1%
Sugars 49.2 g
Protein 12 g23.5%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 0.3%
Calcium 23.1% Iron 4.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet