Manhattan Lemon Cake
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon (very soft (for pan))|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake flour||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine-||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (2 1/2 sticks)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||3 Tablespoon, grated|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (for glaze)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Lightly coat inside of a 10-inch tube pan and dust with dry breadcrumbs.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
4) In a mixer bowl, put together butter or margarine, 2 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, and lemon rind.
5) Beat the butter mixture at high speed for 3 minutes.
6) Take the bowl out from the mixer.
7) Add in flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth.
8) Slowly stream the milk mixture into the tube pan, work with palate knife to sooth the top.
9) Bake in the oven for 1 3/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10) Using a knife loosen the edges and turn out the cakes on racks.
11) In a saucepan, place 2/3 cup of sugar and lemon juice.
12) Simmer, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
13) Using brush apply some of the glaze on the sides of the hot cake.
14) Dribble the remaining glaze evenly over top and allow to cool.
15) Slice into thin wedges to serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7435 Calories from Fat 2629
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 297 g456.9%
Saturated Fat 173.1 g865.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1754.9 mg585%
Sodium 3516.7 mg146.5%
Total Carbohydrates 1121 g373.8%
Dietary Fiber 63.7 g255%
Sugars 654.3 g
Protein 123 g246.5%
Vitamin A 186.5% Vitamin C 159.1%
Calcium 193% Iron 40%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet