Apple Layer Cake
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sifted flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dry crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (bread or cracker)|
|Apples||4 Large, peeled, cored and sliced|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy and then add yolks and rind.
2) In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
3) Mix flour mixture to butter mixture and add crumbs. Mix until it has a cornmeal texture.
4) Now, divide it into two. Take a 8X12" dish and press one half at the bottom.
Blend together (with pastry blender, knives or finger tips), until like cornmeal.
5) Arrange apple slices over it and sprinkle mixture of 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nuts and butter.
6) Spread the remaining crumb mixture and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
7) When the cake is baking, make meringue by blending egg whites and sugar.
8) Spread it over cake and brown for 5 minutes at 425 degrees.
9) Slice and serve the cake.