Devils Food Cake
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Buttermilk/Thick sour milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 Teaspoon, unbeaten|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||3|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 350°F, 180°c, gas mark 4.
2. Grease two 9 inches layer pans with waxed paper.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together and sift through a fine sieve.
4. In a bowl mix brown sugar, shortening, 1/2 cup buttermilk, vanilla and eggs and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed with an electric mixer.
5. Put chocolate in boiling water and stir until mixed properly and smooth.
6. Pour the remaining milk into the chocolate mixture and beat for 1 more minute.
7. Pour the batter into equal quantities in both the greased pans and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
8. Take it out and turn onto cooling rack.
9. Serve warm with hot beverages or as a dessert by applying your favourite frosting, creamy chocolate icing goes well with it.