|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Low fat buttermilk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Coconut extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Softened unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For the frosting|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|White corn syrup||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut extract||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|For the garnish|
|Sweetened coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree.
2. Prepare a greased cake pan.
3. In bowl combine cake flour, baking powder and salt whisk them together.
4. Pour the low fat buttermilk in a bowl and in another bowl beat the eggs with vanilla extract and coconut extract.
5. In a stand mixer bowl combine the butter and sugar and cream them well.
6. Add the egg mixture and whisk, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk, whisk well.
7. Add 1/3 of the flour, remaining buttermilk and whisk, finally add the remaining flour and combine everything well.
8. Transfer the batter in the cake pan and spread it evenly.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
10. Once the cake is done remove allow it to cool on a rack and turn the temperature down to 300 degrees.
11. In a baking tray spread the shredded coconut in single layer and toast it in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
12. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on the rack.
13. In the double boiler pour the egg whites, sugar, water and white corn syrup.
14. Using an electric mixer beat for 7 minutes until fluffy, remove from heat and add vanilla extract and coconut extract beat for another 1 minute.
15. Slice the cake horizontally into half, lift off the top and set aside.
16. Place the bottom layer on a cake plate, spread the frosting in the middle of the cake, and spread it evenly.
17. Place the other layer of cake on top, and spread the rest of the frosting evenly.
18. Sprinkle toasted coconut all over the cake also the sides.
19. Serve after a hearty meal.