Cherry Almond Sweetheart Cake
|Cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For royal cherry filling|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||4 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), scalded|
|Maraschino cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped and drained|
|Chopped toasted slivered almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (From 5 Ounce Can)|
|For white cloud frosting|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 (Unbeaten)|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease two 9X1 1/2-inch layer cake pans and line with parchment paper and grease the paper.
3) In a bowl, place together flour, salt, 1 cup of sugar and baking powder.
Royal Cherry Filling-
4) In 1-cup measure place together, sugar, flour and salt.
5) Beat the sugar mixture together until we mixed.
6) In small bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly with fork
7) Whisk in about 1/2 cup scalded milk, gradually add back into remaining scalded milk in saucepan.
8) Stir in the sugar mixture .
9) Place the saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute, remove from heat.
10) Add the cherries, butter or margarine, vanilla and almond extract.
11) Allow to cool completely.
12) In a bowl, beat the egg whites until double in volume.
13) Add in remaining 1/2 cup sugar slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until meringue forms soft peaks.
14) Add vegetable oil and 1/2 cup milk into flour mixture.
15) Using an electric mixture beat for 2 minutes with mixer at medium speed.
16) Mix in egg yolks, remaining milk, vanilla, and almond extract; beat 1 minute at medium speed.
17) Gently fold in meringue until well blended.
18) Spoon into prepared pans, evenly.
19) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or tooth inserted comes out clean.
20) Place the pans on wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 10 minutes.
21) Using a knife loosen the edges and turn out the cakes on racks and peel off the paper.
22) Allow to cool completely.
23) Slice each cake layer in half horizontally.
White Cloud Frosting-
24) In top of double boiler, place sugar, water, egg whites, corn syrup, salt and vanilla.
25) Beat the vanilla mixture until well blended.
26) Place over simmering water and cook, beating constantly using an electric, for 5 minutes, or until mixture triples in volume.
27) Stack in layer with royal cherry filling between each and place on serving plate.
28) Smear the white cloud frosting over side and top of cake.
29) Make swirls with the tip of the spoon and serve.