Ruth Dove's Coconut Pound Cake
|Cake flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Eggs||10 , separated|
|Butter||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Lightly grease two 9X5X3-inch loaf pan and dust with flour.
3) Ina a bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peak and doubled in volume.
4) Add in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring continuously until meringue forms firm peaks.
5) In a large mixer bowl, beat together butter or margarine, remaining sugar, and egg yolks.
6) Beat at high speed for three minutes and add in vanilla.
7) Add in flour, beating at low speed, until blended.
8) Lightly fold the flour mixture in meringue.
9) Mix in coconut.
10) Spoon the flour mixture evenly into loaf pans.
11) Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
12) Allow the cakes to cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
13) Using a knife loosen the edges and turn out the cakes on racks.
14) Leave until completely cooled.
15) Slice and serve dusted with icing sugar.
To make slicing easier, wrap cooled cake in foil or transparent wrap and store overnight.