Ribbon Spice Cake
|Cake flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1 Teaspoon|
|For brown sugar fluffy frosting|
|Light brown sugar||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1 Dash|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease three 9X1 1/2-inch layer cake pans and dust with flour.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
4) In a large mixer bowl, place butter or margarine, eggs and sugar.
5) Beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
6) Add in flour mixture alternately with milk and vanilla, beating after each addition until batter is smooth, set aside.
7) Transfer 1/3 of batter into each of 2 cake pans.
8) In another bowl, stir together molasses and pumpkin-pie spice with remaining batter.
9) Transfer the molasses mixture into third prepared pan.
10) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cakes comes out clean.
11) Place the pan over a wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 10 minutes.
12) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out onto wire rack.
13) Allow to cool completely.
14) Place the cake in layers, with lemon butter icing in middle.
BROWN SUGAR FLUFFY FROSTING-
15) In the top of a double boiler, place together brown sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup, tartar, salt and mace.
16) Using and electric hand blender, beat until well-blended.
17) Heat over simmering water and cook, beating constantly at high speed, 10 minutes, or until mixture triples in volume and is firm.
18) Remove from heat and frost cake at once.
19) Smear the sugar frosting over the top and on sides.
20) Slice in wedges and serve.