White Fruit Cake
|White raisins||2 Pound, chopped|
|Orange juice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cake flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Candied cherries||1 Pound, diced|
|Candied pineapple||1 Pound, diced|
|Preserved citron||1⁄2 Pound, diced|
|Candied lemon peel||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Almonds||1 Pound, blanched and slivered|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Fresh coconut||1 , grated / shredded|
1) Preheat the oven to 250F.
2) Grease a 9" and a 10" tube pan.
3) Into a bowl of 1 cup of orange juice, add in the chopped raisins. Let it rest overnight.
4) Keep aside 1 1/2 cups of flour. Sift the remaining flour along with baking powder and salt.
5) Mix the 1 1/2 cup of flour with the candied fruits and nuts.
6) In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar, beating well. Add in the eggs, one by one, beating after each addition.
7) Next, add in the sifted ingredients. Keep beating.
8) Add in the coconut, floured fruit and nuts, raisins and the remaining orange juice.
9) Separate the batter into the two tube pans.You may even bake in four 9X5X3 inch greased pans lined with wax paper.
10) Bake for about 2 1/2 hours or till the cake looks done.
11) Let the cake cool down completely, outside the pans.
12) Wrap the cake in wax paper or aluminium foil. Place them in an air-tight containers in a cool place or freeze.
13) Garnish the White Fruit Cake with grated or shredded coconut.
If you want to make fresh coconut shavings, poke the eyes of the shell with an ice pick. Let the milk drain out. Then heat in a preheated 350F oven. Let cool. Break open the shell. When the meat falls free, just peel off the crisp brown skin. Grate and shred as desired.