Applesauce Fruit Cake
|Thick applesauce||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dates||1 Pound, pitted and chopped|
|Raisins||1 Pound (Dark / Light)|
|Nuts||1 Pound, coarsely chopped|
|Candied cherries||1⁄4 Pound, quartered|
|Candied pineapple||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Citron||1⁄4 Pound, finely chopped|
|Sifted flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Baking soda||4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) In a pan boil applesauce, shortening and sugar together for 5 minutes. Stir in between. Keep aside to cool.
2) Take four (1 pound) coffee cans and line them with waxed paper.
3) In a 3 quart mixing bowl, combine fruit and nuts together.
4) Combine together flour, soda and spices over fruit and nuts. Mix until each piece of fruit is coated. Add applesauce.
5) Pour the batter into the cans and bake them at 250 degrees for about 2 hours. When the cakes are browned cover with brown paper. Let them cool on rack.
6) Store the cakes in dry and cold place and let them mellow for 2 weeks before cutting.
7) Boil together ½ c light corn syrup and ¼ cup water.
8) Serve applesauce fruit cake slice.