Sunshine Layer Cake
|For heavenly angel food cake|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Honey||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|For sunshine filling|
|Orange juice||2 Cup (32 tbs), freshly squeezed|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flaked unsweetened coconut||2 Tablespoon|
|Tangerine||1 Small, peeled and sectioned, removing the piths|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Grease a 10-inch tube pan with removable tube
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
4. Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Drizzle in honey beating just to blend.
6. Sift the whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached white flour together 2 to 3 times.
7. Sprinkle 1 cup of the flour mixture over the egg whites then gently but thoroughly fold in.
8. Fold in vanilla extract.
9. Turn the batter tube pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until spongy to touch and light in texture.
10. Remove pan from oven and invert on a wire rack. Allow cake to cool completely.
11. Loosen the cake by running a knife around edges of pan. Turn cake out onto plate.
12. Run knife along bottom to release tube.
13. To make the filling, blend the cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the orange juice in a small saucepan.
14. Stir in remaining orange juice, honey.
15. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, the cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
16. Take pan off the heat and stir in the lemon extract. Let filling cool.
17. Slice the cake crosswise into two layers.
18. Place the bottom layer on a pastry platter and spread 1/2 cup of prepared filling over it.
19. Sandwich with top layer of cake.
20. Cover the cake with remaining filling and generously sprinkle with coconut.
21. Decorate the cake with the tangerine segments.