Chocolate Caramel Cake
|For the cake:|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||3 Ounce (3 Squares, 1 Ounce Each)|
|Butter/Margarine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted cake flour||2 1⁄3 Cup (37.33 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|For caramel filling:|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 , slightly beaten|
|For fluffy marshmallow frosting:|
|Light corn syrup||5 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Marshmallows||16 Large, quartered|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. In a heavy saucepan, Melt 3 squares chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly; cool slightly.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter; gradually add sugar and brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
4. Put in chocolate; mix well.
5. Break in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. In a bowl, mix flour, soda, and salt; add it to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Blend well after each addition.
7. Mix in water and vanilla.
8. Transfer batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
9. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and cool in pans 10 minutes.
11. Take away the cakes from the pans and cool completely.
12. TO MAKE CARAMEL FILLING: In a saucepan, mix sugar and flour; slowly mix in milk.
13. Simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
14. Then, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat.
15. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks.
16. Now add the egg mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
17. Return pan to heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
18. Take away from heat; put in butter, mix until butter melts. Allow it to cool.
19. TO MAKE FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW FROSTING: In the top of a double boiler, mix egg whites (at room temperature), sugar, corn syrup, and water; beat 1 minute on high speed of electric mixer.
20. Keep over boiling water and beat on high speed of electric mixer 7 minutes.
21. Take away from heat; pour to a large mixing bowl.
22. Put in marshmallows; whisk until spreading consistency.
23. Apply and smooth out half of Caramel Filling on top of one cake layer. Scatter 1/4 cup pecans over it.
24. Now, spread a 1/2-inch-thick layer of Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting over pecans; place second cake layer on top.
25. Repeat the process. Top with remaining cake layer.
26. Apply remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
27. You can also, melt 2 squares chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly; cool slightly. This is optional.
28. Drizzle melted chocolate around edges and down sides of cake.
29. Scatter shaved chocolate over center of cake, if you like.
30. Chill the cake for several hours.
31. Make slices and serve.
Calories 588 Calories from Fat 202
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.8%
Saturated Fat 11.9 g59.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 122.2 mg40.7%
Sodium 379.1 mg15.8%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.6%
Sugars 61.3 g
Protein 9 g18.1%
Vitamin A 10.5% Vitamin C 0.76%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 21.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet