Berry Glazed Picnic Cake
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely shredded lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Margarine/Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce, softened (1 Package)|
|Cream cheese||3 Ounce, softened (1 Package)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh strawberries||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Currant jelly||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced toasted almonds||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a bowl stir together flour, sugar, lemon peel, and baking powder.
3) Using knife or putting the flour mixture in food processor, cut in margarine or butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4) Prepare a well in the center.
5) In another bowl beat together egg yolk or egg, milk, and vanilla.
6) Stream the egg mixture over the flour mixture.
7) Stir until the dough starts coming together and leaving the side of bowl.
8) Spoon the flour mixture into bottom of an 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
9) In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks or egg, vanilla, and lemon juice.
10) Using a hand blender, beat on high speed till smooth and creamy.
11) Cover the dough in the pan with cheese mixture.
12) Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till top is golden.
13) Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
14) Wrap with plastic film and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
15) In a bowl, place the currant jelly and stir to soften it.
16) Brush the strawberries with the currant jelly.
17) Arrange the strawberries over the cake and sprinkle with almonds.
18) Refrigerate until required.
19) Slice the cake in wedges and serve cold
Calories 809 Calories from Fat 401
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.5%
Saturated Fat 18.5 g92.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 225.3 mg75.1%
Sodium 315.8 mg13.2%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.5%
Sugars 76.6 g
Protein 10 g21%
Vitamin A 33.1% Vitamin C 90.6%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet