Pina Colada Cake
|Canned unsweetened crushed pineapple||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Teaspoon|
|Rum extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Ice water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Instant nonfat dry milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Unsweetened flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Angel food cake||18 Ounce, prepared according to packet directions. (1 Package, Heavenly)|
1. Drain the pineapple from its juice. Reserve the juice separately in a small saucepan.
2. To the pineapple juice, add gelatin and leave to soften for about 5 minutes.
3. Into the softened gelatin mixture, stir honey.
4. Place the pan over medium low heat and allow the gelatin to dissolve completely, stirring constantly.
5. Flavor the sauce with extract.
6. Take the pan off the heat and let the mixture cool, stirring occasionally to keep the gelatin distributed evenly. The mixture should thicken but should not set.
7. In the meantime, take a medium-size bowl and combine the ice water and nonfat dry milk in it.
8. Use an electric hand beater to whip the mixture until it is thick and frothy and forms soft peaks.
9. Gradually pour in the thickened gelatin mixture, while beating constantly. The mixture will resemble whipped cream.
10. Gently fold in the pineapple pieces and the coconut.
11. Slice the prepared Angles food cake into two layers.
12. Sandwich the cake layers with the frosting and cover the top and sides of the cake as well.
13. Using a flat spatula, form peaks on the surface of the cake.
14. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours so that the frosting sets.
15. Slice the Pina Colada Cake into wedges and serve it cold.
Calories 352 Calories from Fat 71
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.6%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.9 mg3.6%
Sodium 361.4 mg15.1%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.7%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A 0.01% Vitamin C 4.5%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet