Old Fashioned Fruit Cake
|Candied citron||1⁄2 Pound|
|Candied cherries||1 Pound, reserve a few for garnish|
|Candied pineapple||1 Pound, reserve some for garnish (Yellow, Red And Green Colored)|
|Candied lemon peel||1⁄4 Pound|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Pound|
|Grated coconut||12 Ounce|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Pound|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), reserve 6 whole pecans|
|Flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Pound|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Apple juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 225 degrees.
2) Butter and flour 2 tube pans of 10-inches each.
3) On the bottom of the pans, place waxed paper. Set aside.
4) In a very large mixing bowl, combine together the raisins, currants, cherries, citron, pineapple, lemon peel, orange peel, walnuts, coconut and pecans. Mix well.
5) Mix together the spices and flour and gradually blend into the fruit. Coat well.
6) Cream together the sugar and butter till the mixture is light and fluffy.
7) Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the apple juice. Beat well.
8) Combine the mixture with the fruit and flour mixture till well blended.
9) Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
10) With ½ slice each of candied yellow, red and green pineapple and 3 candied red cherry halves, garnish the batter.
11) Between pineapple slices, place 2 pecan halves.
12) On the bottom rack of the preheated oven, place a broiler pan.
13) On the low rack right above water, put the cakes.
14) Bake the cakes for 4 to 4 ½ hours, till a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
15) Let the cakes cool in the pans for a bit and then invert onto rack.
16) Till it is time to serve, wrap tightly in plastic and foil.
17) Unwrap the cakes, place on a decorative serving platter and serve as dessert or tea/coffee accompaniment.
Calories 1323 Calories from Fat 555
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.5%
Saturated Fat 30.9 g154.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 292.8 mg97.6%
Sodium 261.2 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 189 g62.9%
Dietary Fiber 13.8 g55.3%
Sugars 136.1 g
Protein 16 g32.8%
Vitamin A 25.4% Vitamin C 98.3%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 30.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet