Sunburst Coffee Cake Using Crisco
Active dry yeast - 1 package
Milk - 2/3 cup
Crisco- ¼ cup
Sugar - ¼ cup
Salt - 1tsp
Egg - 1
Salt - 1 tsp
Grated lemon peel - ½ tsp
Currant jelly - ¼ cup
1. Preheat the oven for 375° F.
2. Take a large mixer bowl, blend yeast and flour.
3. Take a skillet, heat Crisco, milk, salt and sugar, warm until the Crisco melts.
4. Blend the warm Crisco mixture into dry ingredients in the bowl.
5. Stir in lemon peel and egg.
6. Beat the mixture at low speed of using electric mixer for about half a minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl continuously.
7. Beat the mixture at high speed for about 3 minutes.
8. Knead the dough using hands and stiffen it by adding extra flour.
9. Put the dough on floured surface and knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it turns elastic and smooth.
10. Put the kneaded dough on a greased surface and turn it once towards the surface. Cover and allow it to rise to double in another 1 or ½ hours.
11. Punch down the dough and spread it over floured surface and cover it for another 20 minutes.
12. Roll out the dough into ½ inch thick, 10X8 inch rectangle.
13. Cut out 12 doughnuts from the dough using a doughnut cutter.
14. Arrange the doughnut -€œholes-€ over the greased baking sheet to make a solid circle. This makes the center of coffee cake.
15. Slightly stretch the doughnut rings to fit around doughnut holes.
16. Allow the dough to rise for another 45 minutes before baking.
17. Bake for about 12-15 minutes and allow the cake to cool.
18. Spread the currant jelly into center of the outer rings.
19. Drizzle confectioners-€™ sugar glaze over the doughnuts and sprinkle yellow sugar crystals in its center before serving.
20. Serve Sunburst coffee cake during tea time. It tastes best when served warm.