Angel Food Cake with Berries
Sugar - 1 cup, divided
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Egg whites - 10
Water - 1 tablespoon
Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
Cream of tartar - 1 teaspoon
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Fresh blackberries - 1 1/2 cups
Fresh raspberries - 1 1/2 cups
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Sift together the cake flour, salt and ¼ cup of sugar 3 times.
3) Beat the egg whites till they are foamy.
4) Add the cream of tartar, water and lemon juice. Beat well till soft peaks start to form.
5) Add the remaining ¾ cup sugar gradually, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat well till stiff peaks start to form.
6) Over the egg white mixture, sift the flour mixture ¼ cup at a time, folding very carefully after each addition.
7) Fold in the vanilla gently.
8) Into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, pour the batter and use a spatula to spread evenly.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, till the cake springs right back when touched lightly.
10) On a funnel or bottle, invert the pan and let the cake cool for 1 hour. Remove from the pan and cut into 12 slices.
11) Combine together the berries and toss lightly.
12) Transfer the cake slices to a decorative cake plate and spoon ¼ cup of the berries onto each slice. Use mint sprigs to garnish, if preferred. Serve right away. Makes a good dessert.