Coconut Apricot Cake
Brown sugar - 2/3 cup
Light corn syrup - 1 tablespoon
Flaked coconut - 1 can (3 1/2 ounce)(1 1/3 cups)
Apricot halves - 1 can (17-ounce), drained
Sifted all-purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking powder - 1 1/4 teaspoons
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Shortening - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1/2 teaspoon
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In an 8x8x2-inch baking pan, melt the butter or margarine.
3) Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup and flaked coconut; mix thoroughly.
4) Pat the mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of the baking pan.
5) Place the apricot halves with the cut side up over the coconut at the bottom of the pan.
6) In a small mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
7) Add shortening, egg, milk, and vanilla, then blend with a low speed electric mixer and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
8) Spread over the apricots and bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
9) Allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn out on a serving plate.
10) Serve the Coconut Apricot Cake warm.