Strawberry Festival Shortcake
Granulated Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Egg yolks - 3, beaten
Flour - 2 ¼ cups, sifted
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder - 3 ½ teaspoons
Cold water - 3/4 cup
Strawberries - 1/4 cup crushed
Almond extract - 1 teaspoon
Egg whites - 3, stiffly beaten
Whipping cream - to garnish
1. In a bowl, cream together shortening, sugar until light and fluffy. Add yolks and beat well.
2. Add to the mixture, flour, salt, baking powder, water, crushed strawberries, almond extract and mix well.
3. Fold into the mixture, stiffly beaten egg whites.
4. In a greased round cake pan, pour the shortcake mixture.
5. In a preheated oven, bake at about 200 degrees centigrade for 40 to 45 minutes, until slightly golden. Allow to cool.
6. Serve warm topped with whipping cream.