Cake Roll Pruneau
|For roll cake|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||5 , separated into yolks and whites|
|Pitted prunes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Place parchment paper/ wax paper on a 15 inch x 10 inch baking dish/ pan.
2. Preheat an oven at 175C (350F).
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and sieve. Keep aside.
4. In a medium sized bowl, place egg whites and beat till soft peak stage.
5. Add cream of tartar and vanilla and beat till stiff peak stage. Keep aside.
6. In a medium sized bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla and honey and beat well.
7. Add sieved flour mixture and fold using a rubber spatula.
8. Add beaten egg whites and fold gently.
9. Transfer mixture on to lined dish and bake in pre heated oven on middle rack for 12 minutes.
10. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool.
11. In a medium sized sauce pan, combine rest of the ingredients (apart from cheese) and mix well. Bring to a boil.
12. Once boiled, reduce flame, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
13. Remove off flame, discard lemon slice and strain using a soup strainer. Reserve liquid.
14. In an electric mixer, combine strained prunes and cheese and blend till smooth.
15. Remove and place in a bowl. If mixture is not spreadable, add some reserved strained juice and mix. Keep aside.
16. Dust some flour on a tea towel and invert cake on to it.
17. Discard wax paper and spread prune cheese mixture evenly.
18. Roll from smaller end of cake, along with tea towel. Refrigerate.
19. Once chilled, slice and serve.