|For the cake:|
|Ground mixed spice||3 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||6 Ounce, softened|
|Soft brown sugar||6 Ounce|
|Mixed dried fruits||1⁄2 Pound|
|Glace cherries||2 Ounce, quartered|
|Candied peel||2 Ounce|
|Blanched almonds||1 Ounce|
|Almond paste||4 Ounce|
|For the topping:|
|Apricot jam||1 Tablespoon, warmed, sieved|
|Almond paste||1⁄2 Pound|
|Egg white||1 Large, lightly beaten|
|Sifted icing sugar||1 Ounce|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Colored eggs||2 (For Garnish)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 7-inch round cake tin with greased nonstick parchment paper.
2) Into a bowl, sift the flour, mixed spice and baking powder. Add in the butter, brown sugar, eggs, dried fruits, cherries, blanched almonds and milk. Beat well for a couple of minutes.
3) Transfer half the amount of mixture into the cake pan.
4) Roll out the almond paste to a 7-inch circle. Place on the batter.
5) Pour the rest of the batter over it. Smoothen the top.
6) Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours till a skewer poked in comes out clean.
7) Let cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
8) Brush apricot jam over the cake.
9) Take 1/4 pound of the almond paste and roll it out to a 7-inch circle. Place over the cake. Make 11 tiny balls out of the remaining almond paste. Place the balls around the egde of the cake. Fix them with egg white.
10) In a broiler, place the cake till the almond paste browns lightly.
11) Mix together the icing sugar and water. Pour gently over the middle of the cake. Allow it to set.
12) Freeze the cake, if you want, at this stage. Transfer the cake into a rigid container. Freeze.
13) Serve the Simnel Cake with a garnish of coloured eggs and chicks. Tie a ribbon around the middle.
14) To thaw the cake, let rest at room temperature for 4 hours.
15) Serve as in step 13.