Lemon Cake Roll
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tangy lemon filling - 1 1/2 cups :|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), squeezed|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 275 °F.
2) Line the bottom of a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
3) In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then beat in honey, lemon juice and vanilla for about 10 minutes, until eggs thicken.
4) In a medium bowl, sift the whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached white flour together.
5) Remeasure 1 cup and gradually sift into the egg mixture, beating continuously.
6) In the prepared pan, spread the batter evenly to sides and smoothen the top with spatula.
7) Bake on the middle shelf of oven for about 20 minutes until spongy.
8) Meanwhile, spread a tea towel on a flat surface and cover with a waxed paper.
9) Turn out baked cake on the lined towel and remove the parchment paper.
10) Trim off the edges of cake and roll up the cake in lined towel until cool.
11) Tangy Lemon Filling : In an airtight jar, shake the cornstarch and lemon juice together.
12) Alterenately, in a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and lemon juice until thoroughly blended.
13) In a small saucepan, stir the cornstarch mixture, water and honey over a medium heat, until the mixture thickens.
14) In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk.
15) Spoon a little hot lemon mixture into the egg yolk, then whisk into the saucepan, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
16) Remove from heat, stir in butter and allow to cool.
17) Unroll the cake, remove towel and waxed paper, then spread with Tangy Lemon Filling, and roll up the cake without towel.
18) Slice and serve the Lemon Cake Roll on a serving platter.