|For the cake|
|Butter||4 Ounce, softened|
|Castor sugar||4 Ounce|
|Instant coffee powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Ground almonds||2 Ounce|
|For the icing:|
|Unsalted butter||2 Ounce|
|Sifted icing sugar||4 Ounce|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Butter two 7-inch sandwich tins.
3) In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar to get a light and fluffy mixture. Add in dissolved coffee. Mix well.
4) Into a bowl sift the flour with baking powder and salt. Add in 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture into the creamy mixture.
5) Add in the eggs, one by one. Fold in the rest of the flour along with the ground almonds.
6) Transfer the mixture into the two sandwich tins equally. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cakes leave the edges of the tins.
7) Let the cakes cool in their tins for 10 minutes. Unmould, and let cool completely.
8) For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar in a bowl. Add in the dissolved coffee.
9) With a fork, draw wavy patters over the top of the cake.
10) If you wish to freeze the cake, do so at this point by freezing the cake till firm. pack it in a rigid container and seal till use.
11) Serve the Coffee Cake by spreading the prepard coffee icing between the cakes like a sandwich. Spread the leftover icing over the cake.
12) Thaw the frozen cake by placing at room temperature for about 3 hours.