Spicy Fruit Cake
|Self raising flour||1⁄2 Pound|
|Dark brown sugar||6 Ounce|
|Candied peel||2 Ounce, chopped|
|Glace cherries||2 Ounce, quartered|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Black treacle||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Grease a 7-inch square cake tin. Line with a greased non-stick parchment paper.
3) Into a bowl, sift the flour and salt. Add in pieces of butter. Mix into a crumbly mixture.
4) Add in sugar, dried fruit, candied peel, cherries, cinnamon and mixed spices.
5) Next, beat in the eggs and treacle. Add in a little milk to give the batter a soft dropping consistency.
6) Transfer the mixture into the cake mould. Bake for about 2 hours or till done. If the cake get a bit too dark, cover with a greaseproof paper or foil.
7) Let the cake cool in its tin for 10 minutes.Take the paper lining out and cool the cake completely.
8) If you want to freeze the cake at this stage, wrap it in cling film. Then pack in a freezer bag. Freeze till next use.
9) Serve the Spicy Fruit Cake sprinkled with powdered sugar.
10) Thaw the cake by keeping at room temperature for about 4 hours.
11) Serve as in step 9.