Baba Au Rum
|Yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), warmed|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Soft butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 stick)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a bowl, sift flour and salt.
2) In a small bowl, soak yeast in warm milk.
3) In another bowl, beat eggs, and slowly add sugar, beat until light lemon in colour.
4) In a small pan, melt butter and add to the egg mixture while still warm.
5) Stir in vanilla and yeast mixture in the egg mixture.
6) Fold enough sifted flour in the egg mixture to make and semi thick batter.
7) Two cups of flour may not be needed.
8) Place the egg and flour mixture in warm place, and allow it to rise until double in volume.
9) Pour the egg and flour mixture in a buttered muffin moulds, fill it just about 3/4.
10) Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
11) In a saucepan, put together water and sugar and allow to boil.
12) Take the pan away from heat and add rum.
13) Soak the cakes in rum.
14) Place in refrigerator until chilled.
15) Serve chilled with dollop of whipped cream, with fruits, orange, segments or cherries if desired.