Baba au Rum
|Flour||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Dried yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm milk||4 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Creamed butter||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 gram)|
|For rum syrup|
|Sugar||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Water||6 Fluid Ounce (175 milliliter)|
|Rum||4 Fluid Ounce (120 milliliter)|
|Apricot jam||4 Ounce, sieved (100 gram)|
|Canned apricot halves||14 Ounce, drained (1 can, 400 gram)|
|Toasted slivered almonds||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint (150 milliliter)|
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
2) In a warm bowl, sift the flour and salt together, keep in a warm place.
3) In a bowl, cream the yeast and sugar together.
4) Add the milk and eggs, then gradually stir into the flour and beat to make a smooth batter.
5) Cover the bowl with a cloth and keep in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until the dough doubles bulk.
6) Gradually beat butter into the dough, then place in a greased 7 inch baba ring.
7) Keep in warm place until the dough rises to the rim of the ring.
8) Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, then lower the heat 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4 and bake for another 30 minutes.
9) Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then loosen with a knife and turn out on a platter.
10) Rum Syrup: In a pan, cook the sugar and water over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
11) Boil rapidly until the mixture is syrupy, then slightly cool and stir in rum.
12) Prick the baba, spoon over the syrup, basting frequently, until all the syrup is absorbed.
13) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Freeze the baba, wrap in a foil, then pack the frozen baba in a freezer bag, seal, label and freeze.
14) In a pan, gently heat the apricot jam, stirring in a little water if needed, then brush over the baba.
15) Arrange 8 apricot halves around the edge of the baba and brush with more apricot jam, then add a few almonds between the apricots.
16) Chop rest of the apricot halves, fold into the whipped cream and spoon in the centre of the baba and serve.
17) If using the frozen dish, unwrap, place the baba on a serving platter and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Serve as indicated in steps 15 and 16.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3222 Calories from Fat 1309
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g225.1%
Saturated Fat 41.8 g209.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 581.4 mg193.8%
Sodium 446.6 mg18.6%
Total Carbohydrates 385 g128.2%
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g40.7%
Sugars 265.5 g
Protein 37 g73.1%
Vitamin A 46.7% Vitamin C 36.7%
Calcium 31.1% Iron 84.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet