Polka Dot Cake
|Lard||1⁄2 Pound, softened|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Pound|
|Eggs||4 , beaten|
|Self raising flour||1⁄2 Pound|
|Chocolate buttons||3 Ounce|
|For chocolate fudge icing|
|Cocoa powder||2 Ounce|
|Icing sugar||3⁄4 Pound, sifted|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) In a bowl, put the sugar and lard and beat the contents together till the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, and beat well.
3) Fold in the flour, add the chocolate buttons and stir well.
4) Into 2 lightly greased 8-inch sandwich tins, divide the mixture.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for about 55 minutes.
6) Let the cakes cool in the tins first and then turn them out onto a wire rack.
7) If you wish to freeze the cakes, flash freeze till they are firm, pack in freezer bags, seal, label and place the cakes in the freezer.
8) To make the icing, in a heatproof bowl, put the butter, cocoa and water and stand it over a pan of gently simmering water till the butter has melted.
9) Take the mixture off the heat and then beat in the icing sugar very gradually till the mixture is thick.
10) Swirl the icing over the top of the cakes and leave aside so that it can set.
11) If using frozen cakes, first remove the wrapping and let the cakes thaw at room temperature for a minimum of 4 hours.
12) Make the icing and prepare the cake as in Steps 8, 9 and 10.
12) Put the cakes on a decorative serving platter and serve as a dessert. The cakes can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6757 Calories from Fat 3322
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 371 g571.5%
Saturated Fat 172.9 g864.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1305.2 mg435.1%
Sodium 3188.4 mg132.8%
Total Carbohydrates 821 g273.6%
Dietary Fiber 24.9 g99.8%
Sugars 614.7 g
Protein 65 g129.1%
Vitamin A 76.2% Vitamin C
Calcium 97.6% Iron 123.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet