Family Fruit Cake
|Mixed dried fruit||6 Ounce|
|Candied peel||2 Ounce, chopped|
|Frozen concentrated orange juice||178 Milliliter, thawed (1 can)|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated|
|Butter||6 Ounce, softened|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Vanilla essence||3 Drop|
1) In a bowl, put the dried fruit, orange juice, candied peel and water and stir well to mix. Let the contents soak overnight.
2) Preheat oven to temperature of 325 degrees.
3) Grease a deep round cake tin of 7 inches and use non-stick parchment or greased greaseproof paper to line it.
4) In a bowl, put the sugar and butter. Beat well together till the mixture is light and fluffy and then beat in the eggs, a little at a time.
5) Fold in the fruit mixture, alternately with the vanilla essence and flour.
6) Into the prepared tin, spoon the mixture.
7) Bake in preheated oven for 2 hours, or till a skewer inserted in the cake-'s center emerges clean.
8) Let the cake cool in the tin for a bit and then turn it out. Take off the paper lining.
9) If you want to freeze the cake for future use, it needs to be done at this point. Wrap the cake in cling film, pack it in a freezer bag, seal, label and freeze.
10) Once the cake is sufficiently cool, put it on a decorative serving platter and, if preferred, cut into wedges. If using frozen cake, first thaw it in the wrapping for about 6 hours at room temperature. Remove the wrapping, place the cake on a serving plate and then served slightly chilled or at room temperature. Makes a good dessert as well as an excellent tea/coffee accompaniment.