Crystallized Candied Fruit Cake
|Ground mixed spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft margarine||6 Ounce (tub type)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Seedless raisins||1⁄2 Pound|
|Orange||1 , rind finely grated|
|Candied angelica||1 Ounce, chopped|
|Glace cherries||4 Ounce, chopped|
|Blanched almonds||4 Ounce, chopped|
|Crystallized ginger||1 Ounce, chopped|
|Glace cherries||4 , halved|
|Candied angelica strips||6|
|Apricot jam||2 Tablespoon, warmed and sieved (for glace)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 275 degrees.
2) Butter a deep 7-inch round cake tin. Use non-stick parchment or greased greaseproof paper to line it.
3) Into a bowl, sift the spices and flour. Add all the remaining ingredients and beat well for 2 to 3 minutes, till thoroughly mixed.
4) Into the prepared tin, spoon the mixture and smooth the top.
5) Press the cherries, walnuts and angelica into the mixture.
6) Bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/3 to 3 hours, till a skewer inserted in the cake-'s center emerges clean.
7) Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then turn it out onto a wire rack. Take off the paper lining and use apricot jam to brush the top of the cake.
8) Set the cake aside and let it cool.
9) If you want to freeze the cake, first flash freeze till it firm and then wrap film. Pack the cake in a freezer bag, seal, label and store in the freezer.
10) To serve the cake without freezing it, place it on a decorative serving platter once it is sufficiently cool. Cut into wedges if preferred, and then serve. If frozen cake is being used, first remove the wrappings and let it thaw for about 6 hours at room temperature. Place the cake on a serving platter and serve as a dessert. Also makes a good tea/coffee accompaniment.