Maltex Date Nut Cake
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dates||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), finely chopped|
|Maltex/Malt syrup||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Shortening/Fat||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon flavoring||1 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs), sifted|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Grease the 9 by 9 by 2 inch of baking pan with butter and dust with 1 tablespoon of flour.
3) In a bowl, place dates and maltex.
4) Pour hot water over the dates mixture and allow to soak until water cools.
5) In another bowl, place sugar, shortening, egg and flavouring.
6) Cream the egg mixture until fluffy.
7) Using an electric beater, beat the egg mixture at high speed for 5 minutes.
8) Sieve flour, soda, and salt together, over the egg mixture.
9) Add the walnuts and maltex mixture to the egg mixture.
10) Fold the egg mixture lightly until well mixed, but do not over mix.
11) Turn out the mixture into baking pan.
12) Bake for 40 to 45 minute or until knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
13) Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Calories 501 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.4%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.6%
Trans Fat 1.1 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg13.5%
Sodium 405.9 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 57.5 g
Protein 6 g12.7%
Vitamin A 2.2% Vitamin C 0.38%
Calcium 3.2% Iron 11.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet