Devil's Food Cake
|Cocoa powder||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft brown sugar||1⁄2 Pound|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grated chocolate||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Grease 2 sandwich tins of 7 inches each. Use greased greaseproof paper or non-stick parchment to line it.
3) Make a paste with the cocoa and some milk. Then add the remaining milk along with the vanilla essence.
4) In a bowl, put the lard and sugar and beat together till the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, and beat well.
5) Sift the dry ingredients together and then fold the mixture into the creamed mixture, alternately with the liquid.
6) Into the prepared tin, divide the mixture equally.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
8) Let the cake cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then turn it onto a wire rack and take off the paper lining.
9) Let the cake cool completely.
10) If you wish to freeze the cake, it needs to be done at this point. Flash freeze the cake till it is firm, then pack in a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
11) To make the frosting, in a heatproof bowl, put all the ingredients and stand over a pan of boiling water. Stir for about 10 minutes to completely dissolve the sugar.
12) With a rotary or electric beater, beat the mixture till it is very thick and stiff enough to properly hold its shape. Remove the mixture from the heat.
13) If using frozen cakes, first take them out of the freezer and thaw for about 4 hours at room temperature. Make the frosting as directed in Steps 11 and 12.
14) With some of the frosting, sandwich the two cakes together. Spread the remaining frosting over all over the top. Use a palette knife to peak the surface.
15) Scatter chocolate all over. Set the cake aside so that the frosting and garnish can set.
16) After the garnish and frosting have set, serve the cake at room temperature or slightly chilled. Cut into wedges before serving, or cut at the table. Makes an excellent dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4417 Calories from Fat 1265
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 141 g216.7%
Saturated Fat 55.5 g277.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 754.2 mg251.4%
Sodium 2219.2 mg92.5%
Total Carbohydrates 767 g255.5%
Dietary Fiber 11.7 g46.9%
Sugars 583.5 g
Protein 50 g99.2%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 36.8% Iron 88.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet