Alpine Apple Cakes
|Cooking apples||3⁄4 Pound, peeled, cored and sliced|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Basic shortcrust pastry dough||1 (made with 1/2 lb flour)|
|Icing sugar||2 Ounce, sifted|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) In a pan, put the apples with sugar and some water. Gently cook till soft.
3) Let the mixture cool.
4) On a floured surface, roll out the dough and cut out 20 rounds from it with the help of a 2 ½ inch cutter.
5) On a baking sheet, place 10 rounds and put 1 teaspoon of the apple mixture in the center of each dough round.
6) Dampen the dough-'s edges and cover with the remaining 10 rounds. Press firmly to seal.
7) Trim the edges and flute them.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, till golden brown.
9) Transfer the cakes to a wire rack.
10) Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar till a smooth mixture is formed. Spread it all over the cakes-' tops while still lukewarm.
11) Let the cakes cool completely so that the icing can set.
12) If you wish to freeze the cakes for future use, first flash freeze them and then pack in a rigid container. Separate each layer with foil. Seal, label and store in the freezer.
13) To serve the cakes without freezing, move them to a decorative serving platter and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. If using frozen apple cakes, first thaw them at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours and then serve. These make an excellent dessert as well as a really good tea/coffee accompaniment.