Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake
|Pitted dates||8 Ounce, chopped (250g)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Boiling water||250 Milliliter (1 cup)|
|Packed brown sugar||175 Milliliter (3/4 cup)|
|Eggs||2 Large (at room temperature)|
|Unsalted butter||90 Milliliter (6 tbsp)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|All purpose flour||325 Milliliter (1 1/3 cup)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (2 ml)|
|Toffee sauce||125 Milliliter (1 cup, page 278)|
Eight ounces (250 g) pitted whole dates yields approximately 2 cups (500 mL) chopped dates.
8-inch (20 cm) square metal baking pan, sprayed with nonstick baking spray with flour
1. In a large bowl, combine dates, baking soda and boiling water. Let stand for about 30 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
3. Add brown sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla to date mixture. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat for 2 minutes, until blended (mixture will appear slightly curdled). Add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula. Beat for 15 to 30 seconds, until blended.
4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Prepare Toffee Sauce while cake bakes.
6. Set pan on a wire rack. Poke holes all over top of cake with a toothpick. Pour 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) of the sauce over cake. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Cut cake into squares and serve warm with the remaining sauce.
Store the cooled cake in the refrigerator in a cake keeper, or loosely wrapped in foil or plastic wrap, for up to 5 days. Warm cake, wrapped loosely in foil, in a 350°F (180°C) oven before serving.
Excerpted from Piece of Cake! By Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.8%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g35.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.3 mg25.1%
Sodium 464 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g24.9%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 42.2 g
Protein 6 g11.7%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 0.17%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 13%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet