Queen Elizabeth Cake
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Nut meats||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dates||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the topping:|
|Brown sugar||5 Tablespoon|
|Coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Prepare the dates by cutting and removing the seeds.
2) Add 1 teaspoon soda.
3) Pour in 1 cup boiling water and let stand, until the other ingredients are ready.
4) Preheat oven to moderate heat.
5) In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
6) Beat in egg.
7) Add the dry ingredients to combine well.
8) Fold in nuts and dates.
9) Use a greased 9 x 12-inch pan, to pour the batter.
10) Place inside oven to bake for 30 minutes.
11) Cool in pan, before inverting on rack.
12) To prepare the topping, add all the topping ingredients in a saucepan.
13) Place over heat to boil together for 3 minutes.
14) Use the topping to spread over baked cake. Place inside broiler to brown the top.