Chocolate Date Loaf
|Dates||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Semisweet chocolate chips||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), melted|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Grease a 9x5x3 inch (23 x 12 x 7 cm) loaf pan.
2) In a small bowl, place dates, and soda and pour boiling water over them.
3) Mix thoroughly and let them cool.
2) In a bowl, beat egg lightly.
3) Add sugar, vanilla and salt, beating well until smooth.
4) In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips, keep stirring.
5) Add melted chips into egg batter.
6) Add cooled date mixture and blend thoroughly.
5) In second bowl, stir flour, nuts and baking powder.
6) Add to the batter and stirring just to moisten.
7) Transfer the batter to greased loaf pan and let stand for 20 minutes.
8) Bake the bread at 350°F (180°C) in oven for about 1 hour until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9) Let the loaf stand for 10minutes.
10) Remove from pan and place on cake rack to cool.
11) Wrap to store.
12) Next day slice the loaf in desired size and serve with tea or coffee.