Grandma S Fruit Cake
|Diced mixed candied fruit||8 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Candied cherries||8 Ounce, halved (1 Jar)|
|Seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Currants||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
|Ground allspice||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (Use 2 Sticks)|
|Packed light brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For frosting glaze|
|Candied red cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), halved|
|Whole blanched almonds||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 275F
2. Line a 10-inch tube pan: with heavy brown paper. Start by drawing out a draw a circle 18 inches in diameter, and then cut it out. Set pan in center of circle and then draw around base of pan and the tube. Set the pencil lines on the outside and fold paper into eighths. Cut out the tip. Unfold circle; cut along folds to inside circle. Grease both pan and paper well; fit paper, greased side up, into pan.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the candied fruit, cherries, raisins, currants, walnuts and brandy together. Set aside till required
4. In another bowl, sift the flour with spices, baking powder and salt and set aside
5. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar till light and fluffy. Add the eggs to the pan and continue beating till smooth and light.
6. At low speed, beat in the flour mixture while alternating with the milk mixture. Ensure that you begin and end with the flour mixture till the entire bowl is well mixed
7. Add the prepared fruit mixture and mix well again
8. Turn into the prepared pan and press down well to make the top smooth
9. Bake for 2-1/2 or 3 hours till the cake is done. Let it rest for 30 minutes and turn out of pan. Peel off the paper and let it cool completely.
10. This cake freezes well for 3-4 weeks; wrap with foil and refrigerate.
11. Cover with a glaze, candied cherries, angelica and almonds