|Plain flour||1⁄2 Pound|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Pint|
1.Pre-heat the oven to Regulo 7, or 425°F.
2. In a warmed bowl, sieve in flour and add salt. Rub in lard.
3. Put yeast and sugar in a small basin. Using a teaspoon, cream together until liquid. Add most of the lukewarm water.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Mixing with the hand, add yeast liquid and enough of the remaining warm water to the flour to form a soft dough. Beat well, until the dough is smooth and leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
5. On a floured board, turn out the dough; knead the dough well. Roll to an oblong.
6. Apply half the lard over the top of the dough; dust half the sugar and dried fruit.
7. Fold up lower 1/3 of dough, top 1/3 down. Seal edges; quarter turn the dough. Re-roll and repeat with remaining lard, sugar and fruit, then fold again.
8. Roll out lardy cake into a 7 inch quare which should be about 1 in. thick).
9. Keep the rolled out dough in a shallow 7 inch square tin which has been greased and floured. Prove.
10. With water, brush the top. Dust lightly with caster sugar.
11. Bake a third of the way down the oven for 20 to 30 mins. until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped underneath. Remove and cool on a wire tray.
12. Serve with butter.