Christmas Cake Cookies
|Pitted dates||16 Ounce, coarsely chopped (2 Packages, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Pineapple slices||4 Ounce, cut into thick wedges (3 Colored Candies)|
|Candied red cherries||4 Ounce, quartered (1 Jar)|
|Toasted slivered almonds||5 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Whole brazil nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
3. In a medium bowl, tip in the dates, pineapple, cherries, almonds, Brazil nuts and sherry and mix well. Let this stand at room temperature for one hour
4. In another bowl, sift the flour with baking soda and set aside till required
5. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and egg till light and fluffy.
6. Use a wooden spoon to add the flour mixture to the butter. Mix well and then slowly add the fruit mixture to the same bowl. Chill this dough for one hour
7. Drop the dough by level teaspoons about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Decorate with bits of candied peel
8. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes till golden brown
9. Remove the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely
10. Store in an airtight container with a slice of bread to prevent mold.