Chocolate Chiffon Cake
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sieved|
|Cake flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), sieved|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), sieved|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||7 , separated into yolks and whites|
|Salad oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. In a small sauce pan, place water for boiling.
2. Preheat an oven to 162.5C (325F).
3. In a medium size bowl, combine cocoa and boiling water. Mix well till smooth and free from lumps. Keep aside to cool.
4. In a medium sized bowl, sieve flour, salt, baking soda and sugar together. Once well sieved, add vanilla extract, egg yolks, cocoa mixture and salad oil.
5. Using an electric beater or wooden spoon, mix well till smooth. Keep aside.
6. In another bowl, place egg whites and sprinkle cream of tartar over them.
7. Using an electric beater, beat at high speed till egg whites reach stiff peak stage.
8. Add cocoa batter to stiffly beaten egg whites and using a rubber spatula fold gently till well mixed.
9. Transfer batter to 10 inch tube pan/ Bundt pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes.
10. Once baked, cool completely on a cake wire rack or invert over a bottle neck. Cool for minimum 1 ½ hours.
11. Once cooled, loosen cake carefully using a spatula.
12. Cut into slices and serve with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. If serving next day/ later, cover in foil/ air tight container and store overnight.
Test if cake is done by inserting a cake tester or a toothpick at the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.