Whole Wheat Ginger Cake
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (250 Milliliter)|
|Granulated sugar||8 Ounce (200 Grams)|
|Golden syrup||8 Ounce (200 Grams)|
|Black treacle||8 Ounce (200 Grams)|
|Oil||8 Fluid Ounce (200 Milliliter)|
|Plain white flour||8 Ounce (200 Grams)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ginger||30 Milliliter, ground (2 Level Tablespoon)|
|Mixed spice||15 Milliliter (1 Level Tablespoon)|
|Whole wheat flour||8 Ounce (200 Grams, Plain Ones)|
|Seedless raisins||8 Ounce (200 Grams)|
1) Preheat a cool oven to 150°C,300°F/Gas 2.
2) Use a large 30x25 cm (12 x 1 0 in) roasting tin to grease and to line the base with greaseproof paper.
3) In a large saucepan, combine milk and sugar.
4) Place over low heat and keep stirring until the sugar has melted.
5) Remove from the heat and add the syrup, treacle and oil.
6) Stir well until mixed.
7) In a bowl, sift in flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice together.
8) Add this to the saucepan with the wholewheat flour.
9) Combine thoroughly until smooth.
10) Add the raisins and pour into the prepared tin.
11) Place the tin just above the centre of the oven for 1 3/4-2 hours.
12) Leave to cool in the tin for 1/2 hour then turn out, remove the paper and leave to cool completely.
13) Serve the cake by adding your choice of toppings.
Freeze the cake by cutting into bars and packing in cling wrap. Pack in to freezer bags. Store for up to 3 months.
To use, remove each bar as required. Leave to thaw for 1 hour at room temperature, then cut into squares and leave to thaw completely.
Calories 1116 Calories from Fat 406
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.1%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.6%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 4 mg1.3%
Sodium 413.3 mg17.2%
Total Carbohydrates 173 g57.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 101 g
Protein 13 g26.9%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 30.4% Iron 66.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet