Coffee Meringue Cake
|Caster sugar||8 Ounce|
|For butter cream|
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||3⁄4 Pound|
|Instant coffee||1 Teaspoon, dissolved in 2 teaspoons hot water|
|Browned almonds||3 Ounce, finely chopped (For Decoration)|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon (For Decoration)|
1) Line three baking sheets with silicone kitchen paper.
2) Heat oven at 300°F or Mark 1/2-1.
3) For the meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites till stiff.
4) Mix in 4 teaspoons sugar and beat for 30 seconds.
5) Gently fold the left over sugar.
6) Distribute the mix between the three tins and carefully spread into rounds of 8-9 inches in diameter.
7) Place in oven for about 50-60 minutes till meringue is dry and crisp, then cool.
8) For the butter cream, heat a saucepan on low heat and dissolve sugar.
9) Boil till syrup reaches a thread-like consistency when pressed between fingers and cooled.
10) Add hot syrup to egg yolks and beat till appearance is thick and creamy.
11) Mix in the butter, and whisk in the egg and sugar mix, little at a time.
12) Add the coffee till the desired flavor.
13) Use the coffee butter cream in between two meringues.
14) Add the remaining butter cream over the top and sides and cover with almonds.
15) On the top of the cake, equidistantly place four 1-inch wide greaseproof strips of paper.
16) Before serving, sprinkle the top with icing sugar and then carefully take off each strip.