Cranberry Filled Lattice Coffee Cake
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange juice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Cranberries||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|White bread mix||1 Pound (1 Package / 14 Ounce)|
|Egg white||1 , mixed with water|
1. In a medium saucepan, prepare the filling by mixing together sugar and cornstarch.
2. Stir in the orange juice and add cranberries; cook over medium heat with occasional stirring for about 5 minutes until thickened.
3. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the nuts; keep aside for cooling.
4. Prepare the bread mixture following instructions on the package.
5. On a lightly floured surface or pastry cloth, place the dough and with greased or floured hands make a ball with the dough.
6. Knead the ball for 5 minutes and cover it with a mixing bowl; let it rest for 5 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Grease a cookie sheet for baking.
9. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll the dough into a 12x8 inch rectangle.
10. Shift the rectangle dough to the prepared cookie sheet and spread the filling over the centre in one third of the dough area.
11. On each long side, cut six 1 inch wide strips of 2 inches depth.
12. From one end, start folding the strips at an angle over the filling; fold alternately from each of the two sides.
13. Once all the sides are folded, cover the coffee cake with a towel.
14. In a large roasting pan, pour hot tap water until and place the cookie sheet with the dove over it for 15 minutes.
15. Uncover the dough and brush with egg-white mixture and sprinkle the coarse sugar all over the cake.
16. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden-brown.
17. Remove the coffee cake from cookie sheet to a wire rack and cool completely.
18. Using a heavy-duty foil or plastic wrap, pack the coffee cake, label, seal and place in freezer.
19. Remove the coffee cake from freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
20. Unwrap , slice and serve.