|Pitted dates||1⁄2 Pound, coarsely chopped|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Combine together the chopped dates and 1 cup of boiling water. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
3) Cream together the sugar and shortening till the mixture is light.
4) Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
5) Sift together the flour, baking soda and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
6) To the creamed mixture, add the sifted dry ingredients, alternately with the date mixture, beating well after each addition.
7) Add the chopped walnuts and stir well.
8) In a greased and lightly floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan, bake the batter in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
9) Serve the Date Cake warm, at room temperature or chilled. A dollop of whipped cream makes a good accompaniment to the dessert dish.