Strawberry Meringue Cake
|Yellow cake mix||18 1⁄4 Ounce (1 package, 2-layer-size)|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Strawberries||1 Quart, hulled|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Combine together the orange juice, cake mix, 1/3 cup water, egg yolks and orange peel.
3) For about 4 minutes, beat the mixture with an electric mixer set on medium.
4) Into 2 greased and waxed paper-lined 9x1 ½-inches round cake pans, pour the mixture.
5) Beat the egg whites with the cream o tartar till soft peaks start to form.
6) Over the batter in the cake pans, spread the meringue evenly.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool.
8) With the help of flexible spatulas, carefully remove the cake from the pan. Ensure that the meringue side stays up.
9) Set a few berries aside for garnish and slice the remaining berries.
10) Whip the cream with ¼ cup of sugar.
11) Over the meringue on the bottom cake layer, spread 2/3 of the whipped cream.
12) On the whipped cream, arrange the sliced berries.
13) Add the top layer, with the meringue side up.
14) With the remaining whipped cream and the reserved whole strawberries, garnish the preparation and serve at room temperature or chilled.