Chestnut and Chocolate Cake
|Plain dessert chocolate||3 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||8 Ounce|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint (slightly less)|
|Caster sugar||To Taste|
1) Grease the sandwich tins and line the bases with non-stick (silicone) cooking paper.
2) Heat the oven at 350°F or Mark 4.
3) Skin, cook, and sieve the chestnuts.
4) Check the weight of the sieved chestnuts and use only 8 oz.
5) In a pan, add 3 oz of chocolate and 4 tablespoons water and gently heat till a thick sauce and cool.
6) Separate the eggs.
7) In a bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar together till thick and white, then add the chocolate.
8) Beat the egg whites till stiff and dry and gently fold into the mixture with the chestnuts.
9) Divide the mix into two and place in 2 tins. Place in oven for 35-40 minutes.
10) Carefully turn out the mix and cool.
11) For the filling, in a bowl add chocolate and water and heat till boiling.
12) One at a time, mix in the egg yolks and cool.
13) In a bowl, whip the cream till thick and then gently fold the mix into the chocolate.
14) Add sugar and rum to taste.
15) Sandwich the cakes together with the chocolate cream in the center.
16) Spread the top of the cake with the cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3673 Calories from Fat 1624
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 182 g279.8%
Saturated Fat 25.4 g126.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1216.1 mg405.4%
Sodium 311.8 mg13%
Total Carbohydrates 468 g156%
Dietary Fiber 22.4 g89.7%
Sugars 311.9 g
Protein 48 g96.1%
Vitamin A 28.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 17.2% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet