Strawberry Shortcake Deluxe
|Lemon chiffon cake mix||18 1⁄2 Ounce (1 package)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Large strawberries||3 Pint|
|Heavy cream||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Use the package instructions to make the lemon-chiffon cake. Add butter, eggs and lemon peel if required or according to the package tips.
3. Tip this mixture into 2 ungreased 9-by-9-by-2-inch baking pans.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes till done
5. Invert the pans by hanging the pans between 2 other pans. Let the cakes cool completely. This will take 1-1/2 hours
6. Wash and hull the strawberries and chill till needed
7. In another bowl, mix the cream, sugar and vanilla to form a smooth creamy mix. Chill this for atleast one hour.
8. Beat this mixture again with an electric mixer at medium speed till it is stiff. Return to the refrigerator to chill
9. Set aside one cup of the whipped cream and 16 of the largest strawberries for decoration
10. Assemble the cake by splitting one cake in to 2 even layers.
11. Spread one cup of the whipped cream on top of the cake
12. Spread the rest of the strawberries on the hulled side down in the cream and the top with the next cake layer. Press down gently
13. Cover the side and the top with whipped cream and chill for 2 hours.
14. Just before serving, melt the currant jelly over low heat.
15. Brush the jelly over the reserved strawberries.
16. Arrange the berries in 4 rows on top of the cake.
17. Use a pastry bag with number-6 star tip, to pipe decorations on the cake. Chill again
18. Serve chilled or immediately after decorating.
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 154
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g52.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 88.1 mg29.4%
Sodium 139.2 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.8%
Sugars 35.2 g
Protein 4 g7.9%
Vitamin A 14.1% Vitamin C 94%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 7.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet