Cream Sponge Cake
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Plain flour||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled) (5 ml)|
|Double cream||1 Pint (125 ml)|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled) (5 ml)|
|Jam||1 Tablespoon (as required)|
1) Prepare a moderate oven (190°C, 375°F/Gas 5).
2) Use one 20-cm (8-in) tin or two 17-5-cm (7-in) tins, to grease and line.
3) In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until thick. Place the bowl over hot water if using a hand whisk.
4) In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Gently cut through the mixture with a large metal spoon until combined.
5) Pour the mixture into the tin(s), shake to level the surface.
6) Place in the centre of the oven and bake until risen and golden, for 15-30 minutes.
7) Turn out the cake, remove the paper and place aside to cool.
8) In a bowl, whisk the cream and sugar.
9) Sandwich the cake with jam and cream.
10) Serve the cake by slicing and topping, if desired.
To freeze the cake, wrap in foil, label and chill. Store for up to 4 months.
To use the frozen cake, thaw, then dredge with icing sugar.