Hedgehog Tipsy Cake
|Sponge cake/Madeira cake||1|
|Sweet white wine||8 Ounce (2 wine glasses)|
|Sweet sherry||4 Ounce (1 glass)|
|Fruit syrup||4 Ounce (1 wineglass, from stewed, or canned, fruit)|
|Almonds||2 Ounce, blanched and shredded|
|Apricot glaze||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint|
1) This recipe requires a cake which can be bought or home-made, but must be stale.
2) If home-made, then bake it in an oval jelly mould.
3) Trim and resemble to develop the shape of a hedgehog's back.
4) With a round cutter, hollow out the top, reserving the cutout piece.
5) Place the cake on a serving dish.
6) In a bowl, mix wines and syrup and pour into the hollow in the cake.
7) Baste the cake well and ensure it is thoroughly soaked.
8) Place the cut-out piece of the cake and baste again. Let it stand overnight.
9) To blanch and shred almonds, in a bowl, add the shelled nuts and pour boiling water over. Place a lid on the bowl and cool.
10) Rinse out the nuts and press off the skins.
11) Rinse and thoroughly dry.
12) Divide in two, and lengthways cut each slicing fine pieces.
13) On a baking sheet, spread the cut almonds and place in oven at 350°F or Mark 4, till they turn golden-brown.
14) Heat apricot glaze and brush over cake.
15) Decorate the top and sides of the cake with almonds, sloping all one way to resemble quills.
16) Start the almonds at the back, and all the way up to the 'nose'.
17) To make syllabus, extract juice from the oranges and lemons separately and measure.
18) There should be one-quarter the quantity of lemon to orange.
19) Add sugar into the juice mix and place on low heat in a pan.
20) Take off from the heat and cool.
21) Beat cream and when it thickens, pour in the liquid.
22) Continue whisking till thick.
23) Spoon the cream mix around the hedgehog cake and display without cutting.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3369 Calories from Fat 1370
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 154 g237.4%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g17.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 153.2 mg51.1%
Sodium 1170.7 mg48.8%
Total Carbohydrates 421 g140.3%
Dietary Fiber 21.9 g87.5%
Sugars 270.2 g
Protein 28 g55.4%
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 402.6%
Calcium 48% Iron 41.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet