Super Bowl Sunday Cake
|For cream filling|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||6 , lightly beaten|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Candied mixed fruit||8 Ounce, chopped (1 Cup)|
|Miniature semisweet chocolate pieces||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light rum||3 Tablespoon|
|For apricot coating|
|Apricot preserves||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Citron pieces||5 (4 inches long)|
|Candied cherry||1 (red)|
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) In a large electric mixer bowl, warm the egg whites to room temperature for about 1 hour.
3) In a small bowl, sieve the flour with sugar, baking powder and salt.
4) To make the Orange Chiffon Layer cakes, make a well in the center of the sifted dry ingredients and add the oil, egg yolks, orange juice and orange peel. Beat until smooth. Keep aside.
5) In another dry bowl, run the electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
6) Using a wire whisk or rubber spatula under-and-over motion fold batter into egg whites, until blended. Avoid stirring.
7) Divide into two ungreased 9-by-1 1/2-inch round layer-cake pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
8) Invert cakes by hanging pan between two other pans and let it cool completely for about 1 hour.
9) Using a loosen cake from pan, bang on table and remove the cake.
10) Keep wrapped in a foil until serving. Let it cool completely.
11) To prepare the cream filling, in a medium saucepan mix granulated sugar and cornstarch thoroughly.
12) Stir in 2 3/4 cups milk and stir until smooth.
13) Mix butter and boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
14) In a bowl add little hot mixture into egg yolks. Stir it into the saucepan. Boil and remove from heat.
15) Add vanilla and stir. Transfer into a medium bowl.
16) In a large bowl fill ice cubes and place the medium bowl to cool completely for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
17) Mix candied fruit, chocolate and rum.
18) Chill the mixture until needed.
19) To assemble the cake, halve the layers horizontally to make four layers.
20) On a cake plate put the layer cut side up.
21) Spoon a third of the cream filling and spread evenly.
22) Repeat the same process with remaining layers and filling ending with top layer. Keep the cut side down.
23) To prepare the Apricot Coating, in a small saucepan melt preserves. Strain.
24) Mix lemon juice.
25) Brush the mixture over the surface of cake.
27) To prepare the glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and milk. Beat until smooth.
28) Baste the glaze over top of cake.
29) Decorate with citron and candied cherry.
30) Chill and serve cold.